Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Sleep? Who needs sleep?

It's 1:20 am Wednesday morning...this is how most of my nights go. It's very hard for me to sleep because of my ribs. I can't lay down all the way on my sides because of the pressure my weight puts on the ribs on the side I'm laying on, but I can't sit up straight because everything presses up into my ribs, so I have to find a sort of propped-up-on-elbows-and-pillows-position, but that's easier said than done. I've tried sleeping in chairs, but I sink too far into everything. Only straight, hard chairs are comfortable anyway, but they're not practical for sleeping. I don't want to fall out of it. Our couch isn't firm enough either, so I mostly wander around the house until I'm too sleepy to stand. Sometimes this goes on until 3:00, 4:00, or 5:00 am. I may sit down and doze for 20 minutes or so in some random place around the house (mostly on the toilet), but constant sleep is impossible. This is making it very difficult to function at work and it's making me very irritable. It's so frustrating to be so sleepy and to be so uncomfortable. At least when Sydney gets here, I'll be sleep deprived because I'm taking care of her. So today when the Dr. told me that I was still 1cm dilated and 0% effaced, I was mad. Last week, he had said he would induce me this week (I'm 39 weeks and 2 days today), but he thought I would have made some progress. He wants me to wait another week and if I have not effaced, I have the option of choosing Cervadil - a cervix softener, and induction. The drawback is that it doesn't always work and I could be in labor for many hours and end in a C-section. So hopefully she'll co-operate and come on her own this week. I'm guessing she'll pick May 5th - Cinco de Mayo. We'll see...

2 comments:

April S. said...

I can't believe Sydney is still not here! From reading, I know you are sure wishing she was out so you could be a little comfortable. Don't worry, she will be here before you know it and you will be missing those days you were pregnant!(I know you think I am crazy right now, but just wait!) Keep us all posted on the latest baby news! Hopefully there will be no dr's appt for you next week because Sydney will decide to come out before then! Talk to you soon.

rghopkns said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.